Strategy & economics
Ahmet Feridun: Monday markets - the week ahead on 21 October
- Stocks ended last week slightly higher, with government bonds continuing their sell-off.
- This week will see flash Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) data for October on Thursday. Investors will be looking for a slight pick-up from September’s extremely weak numbers.
- We are now in the thick of third quarter earnings season, with a number of bellwether businesses reporting. Outlooks for next year will be scrutinised.
- On Brexit, the Letwin amendment – aimed to ensure the UK does not leave the EU without a deal – has ended hopes of rapid progress.
- The reaction from sterling so far this morning says as much: it has started the week broadly unchanged from Friday’s close.
This article is issued by Cazenove Capital which is part of the Schroders Group and a trading name of Schroder & Co. Limited, 1 London Wall Place, London EC2Y 5AU. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
Nothing in this document should be deemed to constitute the provision of financial, investment or other professional advice in any way. Past performance is not a guide to future performance. The value of an investment and the income from it may go down as well as up and investors may not get back the amount originally invested.
This document may include forward-looking statements that are based upon our current opinions, expectations and projections. We undertake no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements. Actual results could differ materially from those anticipated in the forward-looking statements.
All data contained within this document is sourced from Cazenove Capital unless otherwise stated.