Strategy & economics
Caspar Rock: Monday markets - the week ahead on 16 December
- Last week saw central bank meetings at the Federal Reserve and the ECB. The Fed indicated that it would keep its policy stance accommodative.
- It also brought the striking Conservative victory in the UK's general election, and the outline of a trade deal between the US and China.
- This made for a "risk on" week, resulting in higher equity markets and in particular outperformance from UK assets and sterling.
- This week's data includes US housing starts and PMIs across most of the G7 - they will be watched closely for signs of improvement from the lows seen in September.
- The "phase one" trade deal announced late on Friday was a small step in the right direction. Thorny issues of intellectual property protection and forced technology transfers have been put on the back burner, with what may prove to be very protracted negotiations to start next year.
This article is issued by Cazenove Capital which is part of the Schroder Group and a trading name of Schroder & Co. Limited, 1 London Wall Place, London EC2Y 5AU. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Nothing in this document should be deemed to constitute the provision of financial, investment or other professional advice in any way. Past performance is not a guide to future performance. The value of an investment and the income from it may go down as well as up and investors may not get back the amount originally invested. This document may include forward-looking statements that are based upon our current opinions, expectations and projections. We undertake no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements. Actual results could differ materially from those anticipated in the forward-looking statements. All data contained within this document is sourced from Cazenove Capital unless otherwise stated.