Caspar Rock: Monday markets - the week ahead on 13 January
The long-awaited US-China trade deal is due to be signed this week – and the scope of the agreement is likely to set the tone of markets.
- The signing of the phase one trade deal between the US and China will be the highlight of the week. So far, details of the agreement have been scant.
- This week is a busy one for US economic data. Inflation data should continue to show a strengthening trend.
- The Q4 reporting season kicks off, with a concentration of banks and other financial services companies reporting this week.
- Risk markets were a little higher last week, as concerns about the situation in the Middle East subsided.
- The UK has seen speculation about a rate cut, leading to weakness in sterling and a stronger gilt market.
Issued in the Channel Islands by Cazenove Capital which is part of the Schroders Group and is a trading name of Schroders (C.I.) Limited, licensed and regulated by the Guernsey Financial Services Commission for banking and investment business; and regulated by the Jersey Financial Services Commission. Nothing in this document should be deemed to constitute the provision of financial, investment or other professional advice in any way. Past performance is not a guide to future performance. The value of an investment and the income from it may go down as well as up and investors may not get back the amount originally invested. This document may include forward-looking statements that are based upon our current opinions, expectations and projections. We undertake no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements. Actual results could differ materially from those anticipated in the forward-looking statements. All data contained within this document is sourced from Cazenove Capital unless otherwise stated.