Words of wisdom from Warren Buffett
We’ve collected some of the most famous quotes from Warren Buffett, one of the world’s greatest investors to give you inspiration.
Warren Buffett is one of the most successful investors of all time and is the CEO of Berkshire Hathaway. The son of a US congressman, he bought his first stock aged just 11 and was filing taxes by the time he was 13. According to Forbes, Buffett’s net worth is $85bn, although he has committed to giving more than 99% of his vast fortune to charity. He has proved that he understands how to be a successful investor, but what can the ‘Oracle of Omaha’ teach us? Below, we’ve collected some of his famous quotes to provide you with inspiration for your own approach to investing.
• “Long ago, Ben Graham taught me that ‘price is what you pay;value is what you get’. Whether we’re talking about socks or stocks, I like buying quality merchandise when it is marked down.”
• “In the short term, the market is a popularity contest. In the long term, the market is a weighing machine.”
• “It’s far better to buy a wonderful company at a fair price than a fair company at a wonderful price.”
• “Opportunities come infrequently. When it rains gold, put out the bucket, not the thimble.”
• “Nothing sedates rationality like large doses of effortless money.”
• “Successful investing takes time, discipline and patience. No matter how great the talent or effort, some things just take time. You can’t produce a baby in one month by getting nine women pregnant.”
• “It is not necessary to do extraordinary things to get extraordinary results.”
• “What we learn from history is that people don’t learn from history.”
• “The most important quality for an investor is temperament, not intellect. You need a temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against the crowd.”
• “I tell college students, when you get to be my age you will be successful if the people who you hope to have love you, do love you.”
This article is issued by Cazenove Capital which is part of the Schroders Group and a trading name of Schroder & Co. Limited, 12 Moorgate, London, EC2R 6DA. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
Nothing in this document should be deemed to constitute the provision of financial, investment or other professional advice in any way. Past performance is not a guide to future performance. The value of an investment and the income from it may go down as well as up and investors may not get back the amount originally invested.
This document may include forward-looking statements that are based upon our current opinions, expectations and projections. We undertake no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements. Actual results could differ materially from those anticipated in the forward-looking statements.
All data contained within this document is sourced from Cazenove Capital unless otherwise stated.