Strategy & economics
Caspar Rock: Monday markets - the week ahead on 27 January
- Central bank meetings take centre stage this week with the US Fed meeting on Wednesday. Little change to policy is expected.
- On Thursday the Bank of England meets. The market puts a rate cut at a 50:50 probability – but the Bank may opt to keep its powder dry in case trade negotiations with the EU take a sour turn later in the year.
- Equity markets ended the week lower, impacted by concerns over the spread of the Coronavirus. Safe haven assets performed well.
- This is an important week for earnings announcements with big tech companies reporting alongside a number of healthcare, energy and industrial multinationals.
- We also have the first look at US GDP on Thursday, and on Friday personal income and spending data – good barometer of the state of the US consumer.
- Coronavirus outbreak: tracking the economic and financial market impact
- Janet Mui: weekly economic update 21 February
- COP26: Pressure growing for step change in climate policy
- Economic infographic: A view of the global economy in February 2020
- Why global cities could be more valuable than high-performing tech stocks
- Business owners warned of capital gains tax increase in March 2020 Budget
This article is issued by Cazenove Capital which is part of the Schroders Group and a trading name of Schroder & Co. Limited, 1 London Wall Place, London EC2Y 5AU. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
Nothing in this document should be deemed to constitute the provision of financial, investment or other professional advice in any way. Past performance is not a guide to future performance. The value of an investment and the income from it may go down as well as up and investors may not get back the amount originally invested.
This document may include forward-looking statements that are based upon our current opinions, expectations and projections. We undertake no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements. Actual results could differ materially from those anticipated in the forward-looking statements.
All data contained within this document is sourced from Cazenove Capital unless otherwise stated.