Strategy & economics
Caspar Rock: Monday markets - the week ahead on 27 January
- Central bank meetings take centre stage this week with the US Fed meeting on Wednesday. Little change to policy is expected.
- On Thursday the Bank of England meets. The market puts a rate cut at a 50:50 probability – but the Bank may opt to keep its powder dry in case trade negotiations with the EU take a sour turn later in the year.
- Equity markets ended the week lower, impacted by concerns over the spread of the Coronavirus. Safe haven assets performed well.
- This is an important week for earnings announcements with big tech companies reporting alongside a number of healthcare, energy and industrial multinationals.
- We also have the first look at US GDP on Thursday, and on Friday personal income and spending data – good barometer of the state of the US consumer.
- Coronavirus and markets – our latest views
- A note from our Chief Executive, Mary-Anne Daly, about COVID-19
- Coronavirus webinar: when will economic recovery come, and what will it look like?
- Market falls – lessons learned from past crises
- UK Budget 2020: Chancellor signals "whatever it takes" support
- Coronavirus and volatile markets: webinar with Caspar Rock
This article is issued by Cazenove Capital which is part of the Schroders Group and a trading name of Schroder & Co. Limited, 1 London Wall Place, London EC2Y 5AU. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
Nothing in this document should be deemed to constitute the provision of financial, investment or other professional advice in any way. Past performance is not a guide to future performance. The value of an investment and the income from it may go down as well as up and investors may not get back the amount originally invested.
This document may include forward-looking statements that are based upon our current opinions, expectations and projections. We undertake no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements. Actual results could differ materially from those anticipated in the forward-looking statements.
All data contained within this document is sourced from Cazenove Capital unless otherwise stated.