Strategy & economics
Caspar Rock: Monday markets - the week ahead on 9 September
- Is US data starting to turn? Hiring was slowing than expected in August, though wage growth remained solid. The bigger shock was an index of manufacturing activity, which fell to the lowest level in a decade.
- The UK parliament has passed legislation designed to prevent a no-deal Brexit, increasing the odds of a delay. A general election now looks like a near certainty, with the only question being whether it will take place before or after the 31 October deadline.
- The ECB meets on Thursday and is expected to introduce new easing measures, potentially including a return to QE.
- Coronavirus and markets – our latest views
- Webinar: with the S&P back up by 37%, are stock markets "ahead of themselves"?
- A new social contract - how are companies treating their employees as the Covid-19 crisis unfolds?
- Q&A: Why do markets rise even when the outlook is bleak?
- What can the Covid-19 crisis teach us about tackling climate change?
- Covid-19 poses temporary setback to the energy transition
This article is issued by Cazenove Capital which is part of the Schroders Group and a trading name of Schroder & Co. Limited, 1 London Wall Place, London EC2Y 5AU. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
Nothing in this document should be deemed to constitute the provision of financial, investment or other professional advice in any way. Past performance is not a guide to future performance. The value of an investment and the income from it may go down as well as up and investors may not get back the amount originally invested.
This document may include forward-looking statements that are based upon our current opinions, expectations and projections. We undertake no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements. Actual results could differ materially from those anticipated in the forward-looking statements.
All data contained within this document is sourced from Cazenove Capital unless otherwise stated.