Strategy & economics
Caspar Rock: Monday markets - the week ahead
- The S&P500 reached another all-time high last week and European stocks also ended the week higher.
- Emerging market currencies and markets slipped back, influenced by continuing disturbances in Hong Kong.
- This week brings the preliminary November PMI figures for the US, Japan and eurozone, with markets seeking further signs that the slowdown has bottomed out.
- On the political front we have TV debates on both sides of the Atlantic: Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn on Tuesday; and on Wednesday, in the US, the Democratic candidates will slug it out, with all eyes on Senator Warren.
- The pound rose last week as polls showed a strengthening Conservative lead. The number of “undecided” respondents remains high.
This article is issued by Cazenove Capital which is part of the Schroder Group and a trading name of Schroder & Co. Limited, 1 London Wall Place, London EC2Y 5AU. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Nothing in this document should be deemed to constitute the provision of financial, investment or other professional advice in any way. Past performance is not a guide to future performance. The value of an investment and the income from it may go down as well as up and investors may not get back the amount originally invested. This document may include forward-looking statements that are based upon our current opinions, expectations and projections. We undertake no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements. Actual results could differ materially from those anticipated in the forward-looking statements. All data contained within this document is sourced from Cazenove Capital unless otherwise stated.