Strategy & economics
Caspar Rock: Monday markets - the week ahead on 5 August
- The upcoming week is light on newsflow but it follows a volatile week for bonds, equities and currencies.
- Last week’s Fed rate cut, coupled with a further escalation in the US-China trade stand-off, resulted in a sharp sell-off.
- US equities ended the week 3% lower and European equities were down by about 4%.
- UK asset volatility continues with markets pricing in a higher probability of either a general election or hard Brexit.
- Today’s global PMI (Purchasing Managing Index) data will be closely watched following last month’s divergence between weaker manufacturing and stronger services figure.
This article is issued by Cazenove Capital which is part of the Schroder Group and a trading name of Schroder & Co. Limited, 1 London Wall Place, London EC2Y 5AU. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Nothing in this document should be deemed to constitute the provision of financial, investment or other professional advice in any way. Past performance is not a guide to future performance. The value of an investment and the income from it may go down as well as up and investors may not get back the amount originally invested. This document may include forward-looking statements that are based upon our current opinions, expectations and projections. We undertake no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements. Actual results could differ materially from those anticipated in the forward-looking statements. All data contained within this document is sourced from Cazenove Capital unless otherwise stated.