Words of wisdom from Warren Buffett
We’ve collected some of the most famous quotes from Warren Buffett, one of the world’s greatest investors to give you inspiration.
Warren Buffett is one of the most successful investors of all time and is the CEO of Berkshire Hathaway. The son of a US congressman, he bought his first stock aged just 11 and was filing taxes by the time he was 13. According to Forbes, Buffett’s net worth is $85bn, although he has committed to giving more than 99% of his vast fortune to charity. He has proved that he understands how to be a successful investor, but what can the ‘Oracle of Omaha’ teach us? Below, we’ve collected some of his famous quotes to provide you with inspiration for your own approach to investing.
• “Long ago, Ben Graham taught me that ‘price is what you pay;value is what you get’. Whether we’re talking about socks or stocks, I like buying quality merchandise when it is marked down.”
• “In the short term, the market is a popularity contest. In the long term, the market is a weighing machine.”
• “It’s far better to buy a wonderful company at a fair price than a fair company at a wonderful price.”
• “Opportunities come infrequently. When it rains gold, put out the bucket, not the thimble.”
• “Nothing sedates rationality like large doses of effortless money.”
• “Successful investing takes time, discipline and patience. No matter how great the talent or effort, some things just take time. You can’t produce a baby in one month by getting nine women pregnant.”
• “It is not necessary to do extraordinary things to get extraordinary results.”
• “What we learn from history is that people don’t learn from history.”
• “The most important quality for an investor is temperament, not intellect. You need a temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against the crowd.”
• “I tell college students, when you get to be my age you will be successful if the people who you hope to have love you, do love you.”
The opinions contained herein are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the house view. This document is intended to be for information purposes only. The material is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument. The material is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, accounting, legal or tax advice, or investment recommendations. Information herein is believed to be reliable but Cazenove Capital does not warrant its completeness or accuracy. No responsibility can be accepted for errors of fact or opinion. This does not exclude or restrict any duty or liability that Cazenove Capital has to its customers under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (as amended from time to time) or any other regulatory system. Cazenove Capital is part of the Schroder Group and a trading name of Schroder & Co. Limited 12 Moorgate, London, EC2R 6DA. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. For your security, communications may be taped and monitored.