Caspar Rock weekly video
Caspar Rock: Monday markets - the week ahead on 16 December
- Last week saw central bank meetings at the Federal Reserve and the ECB. The Fed indicated that it would keep its policy stance accommodative.
- It also brought the striking Conservative victory in the UK's general election, and the outline of a trade deal between the US and China.
- This made for a "risk on" week, resulting in higher equity markets and in particular outperformance from UK assets and sterling.
- This week's data includes US housing starts and PMIs across most of the G7 - they will be watched closely for signs of improvement from the lows seen in September.
- The "phase one" trade deal announced late on Friday was a small step in the right direction. Thorny issues of intellectual property protection and forced technology transfers have been put on the back burner, with what may prove to be very protracted negotiations to start next year.